Senior Communications Specialist
We are in search of a Senior Communications Specialist that will work closely with the Senior Communications Lead and the Program Manager to support a large Program at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The Senior Communications Specialist will assist in developing and executing all communications requirements from the client to internal and external stakeholders, to advance the VA mission, brand and the program’s strategic plan.
- help support and implement a communications strategy and plan, for the overall program, as well as support various communications initiatives as identified.
- provide support to the program team in delivering communications materials customized for a variety of audiences and vehicles and will serve as the initial copy editor for all documents slated for release.
- contribute regular content to the project website and SharePoint site, developing and/or editing training scripts and presentations often requiring research, as well as ad-hoc writing requirements with short deadlines.
- liaise with all VA team members, with a focus on domain leads and working groups as well as the customer directly.
- make themselves available to meet with portfolio leads, product line managers, domain leads and other program managers as well as members of the Insignia team.
Additionally, it is desired that the candidate supports and contributes to the overall design of graphics and visuals for use across the program. The candidate may develop and design program graphics for communications and messaging collateral, training content, website content, SharePoint, PowerPoint briefings, architecture models/information, written plans and special initiatives among others as capable.
The Senior Communications Specialist will actively participate in concept development, provide design and concept direction as well as wide-ranging support to Subject Matter Experts and Domain/Portfolio/Domain Leads through the design and creation of innovative materials to amplify program concepts and initiatives. The candidate may possibly provide graphic expertise and insights to enhance current program communications. The candidate will liaise with all VA team members, with a focus on domain leads and working groups as well as the customer directly. The Senior Communications Specialist will make themselves available to meet with portfolio leads, product line managers, domain leads and other program managers as well as members of the Insignia team.
The candidate will support the entire Communications team in consolidating weekly and ad hoc reporting as well as preparing contributions to weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
Lastly, the candidate will work collaboratively across the team to manage outreach and messaging aspects of projects with a keen eye to the development and timeline, to meet client needs and contract deadlines and will backstops the government POC and the entire Communications Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Experience and Education Requirements
- Work with Portfolio Leads, Product Line Managers and Team Leads to develop visual concepts and campaigns for various program collateral and supply copy-editing support as required.
- Contribute to program branding and communication messaging through content, development and design
- Manage the program graphic library through file naming and storage process via SharePoint
- Resize, edit, modify and enhance previously existing produced materials used in program products
- Participate in program meetings and team meetings to better understand program content, products, tools and initiatives
- Assist in web design discussions to provide design expertise and support the Web Team
- Organize and maintain database/bibliographic/archival retrieval system of all references used in creation of published materials
- May handle copyright, reprint, and permission processes
- Prepares layouts, designs, formats for use in publication and/or print design
- Ability to work in a deadline-sensitive environment and capacity to be flexible yet professional
- Direct support to the Senior Communications Lead, with ancillary assistance to the Training leads and the Web/SharePoint team and Program Manager
- Master’s degree is required with at least ten (10) years of relevant experience; ten (10) years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education
- Must have CPIC experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Low Risk Background Clearance National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- No travel is expected
- Must be authorized to work for any employer in the US
- Prior work experience with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- Demonstrated understanding of the design, creation and utilization of infographics for large concepts and data processes
- Understand the requirements of 508 compliance
- Enhanced visual acuity to enhance PowerPoint presentation in both look and feel of content
- Ability to proof read and cross check grammar, syntax and composition
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Publisher, Visio and PowerPoint as well as the Office Suite
- Ability to manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines, while providing high quality of work within designs